Jointly organized by the Canadian Circumpolar Institute (Canada), the Thule Institute (Finland), the Stefansson Arctic Institute (Iceland) and the Northern Research Forum.
With common concerns over circumpolar issues, international security, environmental protection, and sustainable development, Canada and the Nordic states display a strong sense of shared values and outlook. The aim of the seminar series is to bring together policy-makers and researchers to explore common perspectives and future challenges of Canada's and Europe's northern regions.
The seminar, the second in the series, will cover the following topics:
• The geopolitics of continental shelf claims
• Boundaries, borders and cooperation in the Barents Euro-Arctic Region
• The Northern North Atlantic: Greenland, Iceland and new political horizons
• Rethinking polar law: resource development and its consequences
• History of Northern development: lessons for the future
• Resource futures and Northern passages: energy, shipping and environment
• Roundtable Discussion